R2 for Electronics Brokers
The Responsible Recycling Practices Standard (R2) is a set of voluntary principles and guidelines designed to promote and assess responsible practices for electronics recyclers. The R2 standard presents several requirements for electronic brokers that promote secure recycling in many ways.
The R2 standard requires electronics brokers to use an Environmental, Health and Safety Management System (EHSMS) to plan and monitor environmental health and safety practices. Brokers must maintain written goals and procedures, and a list of documents necessary to conform to the requirements of R2. Brokers must also prove, with documentation, conformance to these requirements, and a corrective-action plan in the case of a nonconformance.
Brokers are also in charge of developing a documented policy on how used and end-of-life electronics equipment, components, and materials are managed with respect to both on-site activities and downstream vendors.
Electronics brokers are also responsible for coming up with a legal compliance plan, to ensure full compliance with all environmental, health, safety, and data security legal requirements that are applicable to the organization.
Other general responsibilities of electronics brokers include:
- Performing due diligence on downstream vendors to which materials are shipped.
- Ensuring repaired and refurbished electronic equipment is tested properly, and materials going to reuse are properly packaged to ensure continued use and responsible recycling of focus materials.
- Maintaining business records documenting the flow of equipment, components, and materials that pass through the facility.
- Proper data destruction of media using applicable destruction procedures.
- Implementing appropriate security measures for equipment transportation and customer service.
- Possession of insurance to cover potential risks and liabilities.
- Transportation of equipment, components, and materials with organizations that have the proper authorization and security procedures.
- Detailed documentation that proves conformance with R2.